Sunday 31 May 2015

India

GHUM..THE SECOND HIGHEST RAILWAY STATION IN THE WORLD.

KEEP SHOVELING THAT COAL..

ALL ABOARD..
THE SCENE ON A GOOD CLEAR DAY FROM DARJEELING
THE "TOY BLUE TRAIN" AT GHUM STATION...THE SECOND HIGHEST RAILWAY STATION IN THE WORLD.
Darjeeling:: West Bengal.

Today I arrived in Darjeeling after a rather long journey by o/night train from Kolkata..but first I will go back to Kolkata from where this journey originated.The temperatures in Kolkata were for me rather overwhelming and decided after coming north from Chennai I would continue north mainly to avoid the extreme temperatures around 45 degrees and head for the mountains of Darjeeling...after a four hour wait to purchase a ticket at the booking office in Kolkata on the Train # 12343" Darjeeling Mail" I was in buisiness...once again the train station experience is one of bewilderrment with this "mass" of people in the train station concourse some sitting, lying standing sleeping people laying allover the cool marble floors with masses going in different direction laying in amongst or carrying all forms of luggage ,bags, boxes, suitcases.women struggling with their baggages and children while trying to negotiate a pathway through this tsunami of travellers.
.Ahh!. .looking for destination boards !!! train #, platform # coach # seat #..am I in the correct place.!!! I love trains but sometimes the "getting to your seat / bed is a major..I am in a carriage right up front of the train ..it must be nearly a kilometer long...the heat is oppresive..I am carrying three litres of water that seems to deminish rather quickly. I find my coach # 1A ,.I look forward to sitting down at last...The Darjeeling Mail  departs  on time at 22.05.....this is an O/night journey that arrives on time at 08.00  This is another station and is the termination  at the foot of the mountain...Here I find a share taxi and then it is a three hour road journey in a packed jeep up the windiest road I think I have ever experienced with just enough room for two  vehicles to pass..we pass hundreds of acres of Darjeeling tea plantations..the scenery  starts to be really spectacular as we keep climbing soon the fog is thick and we are really in the clouds Finally we reach Darjeeling at the top of the mountain.for it is here that I have come to ride the "Toy Train" The little blue train that is quite famous part of The Himalaya Railway( but more of that tomorrow.). My guesthouse has spectacular views I see as there is a break in the clouds..There is a rest period here to recharge my batteries.I will stay here for three days until I can enter Sikkim..I have a permit that I obtained in Kolkata..The temperature is noticeably much cooler here temperature has a 20-25 degree difference from Kolkata..air is clean and  wonderful..but must adjust a bit to the altitude now..I feel that I am at the " roof of the world".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Australia

                                                 HAPPY EATER TO AL  VIEWERS   Well a hot day in Sydney tody  so good to be on here once agai...